Safely does it
Businesses must ensure, so far as reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare of their employees and all those affected by their operations.
Even the most efficiently run business can find itself under investigation by the Police and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), which can result in the service of enforcement notices and ultimately a prosecution.
Legislation such as the Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act together with recent changes to sentencing guidelines, mean that health and safety breaches can result in very large fines, directors and senior managers facing disqualification and/or custodial sentences.
A business’s reputation and brand can be further undermined by negative and damaging publicity.
Our specialist lawyers offer advice and assistance to businesses and individuals from the immediate aftermath of an accident at work to representation at court in the event of an investigation including the following:
- Assistance and representation for organisations and individuals investigated and prosecuted for gross negligence manslaughter, corporate manslaughter and health and safety offences following accidents to employees or members of the public
- Support and advice during police, HSE and local authority investigations
- An immediate response following accidents resulting in death and serious injury, advising on prohibition and improvement notices and on the HSE’s fee for intervention scheme
- Advice and support for employees asked to provide statements and assist police and regulators with their enquiries
- Representation for organisations and individuals at interviews under caution with the police and regulators including HSE, local authorities and the care quality commission
- Advice on PR strategy and media management
If you are facing a HSE investigation or prosecution our expert team of lawyers will guide you every step of the way.