The Environment Agency and local authorities are the primary bodies charged with protecting the environment in the UK.
Environmental protection is achieved through UK legislation including the Environmental Protection Act and Water Resources Act, European directives and frameworks and International agreements.
Organisations and individuals risk increasing criminal fines, civil sanctions and custodial sentences in the event of a prosecution arising from polluting the environment and failure to comply with environmental licences. Recent sentencing guidelines issued to courts have resulted in very significant fines imposed on organisations and the courts are showing an appetite for handing out punitive penalties.
Investigation or prosecutions can be a daunting experience. We provide you with immediate advice following a major incident, advice and assistance throughout investigations and prosecutions by the Environment Agency and local authorities.
We regularly advise businesses and individuals on the following:
- Advice following the service of enforcement notices
- Assistance and representation at interviews under caution with the regulator
- Responding to the regulator at all stages of the investigation and where possible avoiding criminal proceedings
- Representation at Magistrates and Crown Courts
- Assistance with PR and media management