International claims and foreign jurisdiction
Insurance is an international industry. Disputes often straddle borders, both geographical and jurisdictional.
And so, whether acting for overseas clients in English proceedings, or handling disputes in foreign jurisdictions, legal advisers must have a thorough understanding of the global insurance market.
Our extensive experience is routinely called upon by insurers, insureds and reinsurers across a wide range of issues involving parties and assets located in overseas jurisdictions and includes:
- Acting for overseas parties making or defending claims in the English courts
- Assisting parties based in England or overseas in relation to litigation in courts in other jurisdictions
- Representing clients in mediations taking place abroad
- Representing parties located in England or abroad in international arbitrations
- Advising on coverage issues under insurance policies governed by English law in relation to claims or losses arising outside England and Wales
- Registering and enforcing foreign judgments in England and Wales
- Instructing and assisting overseas lawyers to enforce English judgments overseas
We manage recovery claims and defend litigation around the world using a long-standing network of trusted legal advisers in many jurisdictions. Key features of our network are:
- Detailed vetting procedures
- Proven expertise to assist
- Required regulatory approval to provide litigation services in their jurisdiction
- Professional indemnity insurance cover
- Contracted on a case-by-case basis
- Stringent costs regime – fixed, hourly rates, budgets or conditional fees agreed in advance
- Ensuring that there is a good understanding of client requirements
Substantial differences between jurisdictions can impact on costs and recovery so we will always explore any possibility there may be to propose funding for a recovery claim on a basis where we and/or overseas lawyers assume some or all of the risk associated with it to reduce those risks for our clients.
The blend of our own team with the expertise of our network of local lawyers and the application of rigid cost controls means we are well qualified to guide clients through the process of international dispute resolution.
Property Risks & Coverage